Tuesday, 9 March 2010

Tomorrow is the Day!

At this time tomorrow I shall be posting on this blog either in triumphant glory or cursing the educational system for labelling me as not good enough.

I've got an interview with staffordshire university tomorrow at 2pm, Im hoping to enrol on the VFX visual effects and concept design course.

http://www.staffs.ac.uk/study_here/courses/vfx-visual-effects-and-concept-design-tcm428258.jsp

The other year I was studying at stockport college for Illustration, all the way through I struggled to grasp with many of the course's philosophies (excellent course just not for me). At the beginning of the second year this september I decided to drop out and take a GAP year, in the hopes that I will be able to get onto the course mentioned above.

Back in college I convinced my self that after many years of wanting to be a conceptual artist it just was'nt a realistic career option and so decided I would try my hand at illustration, there was certain things about it I liked but the cons for me out weighed the pro's in a way that just wouldnt work. It's deffinitely a mind frame thing, you either are an illustrator or your not, you can't fake it in my opinion. So learning that I realised that if I wanted to make a career out of my art then I needed to pursue the thing that truly appeals to me, which is the conceptualisation (?) of fictional worlds.

Theres soemthing that draws me in with such a strong passion when it comes to concept design, the ability to draw the best of the worlds natural history, human cultures and events and throw them into the blender that is the design process is facinating. You can take something that appears to be so rooted in tradition and fling it into the wastes of an entirely differnt world and see what happens, sometimes it doesnt work, but sometimes you get soemthing that seems right for soem reason.

Games and films reflect not only the conflict of the past but more and more so the conflicts of the present, and in some ways they even become political tools, promoting certain beliefs or viewing situations in entirely differnt angles that really do allow for some incredible gaming oppotunities.

I just hope I get the opportunity to contribute to all of this.

(wish me luck or I'll find out where you live and leave a flaming bag of dog sh-

3 comments:

  1. today is the day... DOLMIO DAY! :D WOOOO

    good luck mate, im sure if the course is anywhere near as good as its meant to be then you've nowt to worry about... unless you go in wielding said bags of shizite ;)

    hope all is good matey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope all goes well! Best of luck, Marco!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, very much appreciated!

    Marco.

    ReplyDelete